Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Things I'll miss about Egypt:

I know I've spent more time than I wanted to on this blog talking about the things that surprised me in a negative way once I got to Egypt, but I really want to emphasize that there are a lot of things that I'll miss when we leave tonight, like:
  • Cheap, delicious food (I know I won't be without this in India, but I certainly will be without some of my Egyptian favorites, like Koshary).
    • Koshary!
      Schwarma 
    • cupcake shops and the prevalence of chocolate cake (part of a list of things by body WON'T miss about Egypt) 
  • The Nile :) 



  • Seeing ridiculous things on motor vehicles, like:
  • Young "Ultras" on the way to the game
    • two forlorn cows chillin' on the back of a pickup truck in downtown Cairo
    • two young-adult men singing together as they ride on a mo-ped/cycle in downtown Cairo
    • men packed like sardines in a "bus" on the road from Alexandria (but I won't miss them all gawking at the girls on our bus)
    • an entire family (dad, mom, 2 kids) packed onto a small motorcycle
    • vehicles with ACTUAL horsepower - a donkey (or horse)-drawn cart being driven down a highway!
    • a famous muezzin at Mosque Sultan Hassan
      chants a few lines of the Qur'an for us
    • a "bus" packed to the roof with football "ultras" (soccer hooligans TO THE MAX) driving down the highway on the way to the Zamalek game
  • The Call to Prayer, whatever part of day or night - a great time for contemplation, whatever you believe
  • Seeing minarets EVERYWHERE!
    • How many minarets can you see?
  • Having dependable internet here at the AUC
  • Having wonderful and nice security guards here at the AUC who graciously put up with my broken pathetic "Arabic"
  • The weather (last week as we were walking along the Nile one afternoon, I commented that it was a "nice fall day"... and then was reminded that it was 80 degrees fahrenheit)
  • Hearing "You are welcome" and "welcome to Egypt" everywhere you go - from young and old. 
  • Once you're up high enough, seeing minarets popping up everywhere. 
  • A Young Egyptian wishes us welcome in Tahrir Square
  • Walking in the street (it's grown on me)

2 comments:

Suzie said...

Love the comments and photos. You certainly have become comfortable getting around in Cairo. Remember that the next new place you go. Give yourself time to adjust, get your bearings, fine tune you're danger detector and then - GO FOR IT.

Sonja said...

Looks amazing. I love the picture of the Nile. Water is beautiful in every part of the world. I'm glad that your spirits are up and you can learn to love a country in its entirety in such a short period of time. I'm sure it loved you back! However, we miss you here in the states and wait for your arrival!