Sunday, October 9, 2011

Forever a College Student

If I were still a REAL college student, I would be thinking about registering for classes right now. And although the idea of NOT having to stay up late cramming for a test or finishing up a literature review or closing down the library makes me really happy, I do still really like looking at the St. Olaf catalogue of classes I COULD be taking next semester if I hadn't already received my diploma. Here are a few that make me particularly jealous of my underclassmen peers:

Art 232: Figure Drawing - I took an intro drawing course last spring and found that I particularly enjoyed figure drawing and it would have been nice to try more of that

Art 238: Photography - It would be nice to come back from Global and get more formal training for my "photographer's eye"

Environmental Studies 222: Campus Ecology - I always heard this was a great class and really made you think about your "footprint" on a regular basis.

Environmental Studies 276: Environmental Politics - As a poli-sci major, I always wanted to fit in more of these policy-centered classes, and I've heard this particular course is a lot easier to grasp with a poli-sci background.

Film 101: Intro to Film Studies - because I always feel like a naïve movie-goer, it would be nice to have a better idea about what goes on behind the scenes - other than what I've learned from watching all the special features from the Lord of the Rings boxed set, that is. :)

History 199: America after 1865 - I never feel like I know enough about recent American history! This was a course that was always on my backup registration list every semester - so how did I end up never taking it?!

PoliSci 244: Race and Politics - this sounds SUPER interesting, and it's with a professor they just brought in to replace one of my favorites... very relevant.

PoliSci 285: International Law - how does this NOT sound interesting!?! This would probably be my top choice for registration... good thing there are two sections, because it'll definitely be a popular one!

Sociology/Anthropology 267: Medical Anthropology - As someone who's hoping to go into the international NGO world, questions on how people view health, health issues, and solutions are prominent in my mind, and I've always loved every Soc/Anth class I've taken.

Spanish 312: Minor Religions of Spain - taught by one of my favorite professors, I think this would be a fascinating class about a society that was dominated by Roman Catholicism for so long.

Theater 120: Public Speaking - pretty useful and self-explanatory. Do I need to give you a speech about it?

Women's Studies 121: Intro to WS - I'm not really sure if I would consider myself a feminist, so this would be a good opportunity to find out and to talk to people all over that spectrum about interesting issues in the Girl World!


That's a pretty full list! I guess it's a good thing I don't have to narrow them down. And who knows? Maybe I'll have enough time when I get back from Global to read up on all these topics myself! Yeah, right. Wishful thinking. 


What are some classes YOU wished you'd taken in college?

2 comments:

Sonja said...

haha. nerd :)

Suzie said...

Middle Eastern History. Now I guess I'll just have to take the class from my in-house prof. As soon as she gets home that is.