Thursday, August 25, 2011

Around The Corner (a crunch-time reflection)

I leave for Geneva in 8 days.

I have to write that out to believe it. There's so much I still have to do before I'm ready (i.e. pack - I've now taken over the basement for this process), but I think at this point, I feel pretty ready, mentally. This reading project has helped a lot to get me mentally prepared for the journey ahead.

This summer has been slower than others, yet I feel like I always have so much to do! A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride my bike over to the Wilmette Public Library and check out the travel section, which is buried in the basement. Although I went with my pre-made booklist in hand, I came away with a mix of items: Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost (look for a post on that soon!),  The British Empire (a "teach yourself" book that I think is necessary for my travels in Egypt, India, and Hong Kong especially), South Korea in 7 Days (a travel DVD that'll cover the basics), and Hong Kong (a compilation of short travel writings about the city). My mom has decided that she will visit me for the week I'm in Thailand, so we've been reading up on Lonely Planet's suggestions and talking with my aunt and uncle who have been there several times.

Suddenly, with August well-upon us and my departure date looming ever-nearer, I feel like this project - to get to know my travel destinations a little better before I leave - has actually happened! I always knew I wouldn't be able to read all the books that were recommended to me before I left, but the ones that I have read (or listened to, or watched) have given me a pretty great foundation to build on.

Here are a sampling of things I've accomplished this summer, aside from reading:


ran a 10k and 4-mile race with a great soundtrack (and great friends!)

Traded recipes and shared a delicious meal with my Persian friend, Yafa
costumed myself as Harry Potter's golden snitch for HP7pt2 (with Rita Skeeter and Luna Lovegood)

participated in the tradition of cheering on the Cubs at Wrigley (and, per tradition, they lost)
    delighted in the wonders of Groupon Chicago (Chicago Fire game Party Deck ticket, t-shirt, and 2 beverages - just $25)

  • reconnected with high school friends, re-remembered why they're all - individually and as a group - so great 
  • completed several drawings and paintings through my classes at the Evanston Art Center
  • sang two trios with two talented artists at Church
  • hit a nice line-drive over the head of the shortstop at a Mixed Nuts game in DC
  • survived the oppressive heat and overwhelming dining options at the Taste of Chicago
  • woke up at 5:45 daily to run and practice yoga (this only lasted through the middle of July)
  • successfully waterskied, four times!
  • experienced some excellent Chicago establishments (check out all 3 links)
  • made several DELICIOUS rhubarb desserts and multiple batches of hummus
  • didn't die on Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster  
  • watched the entire 5 seasons of Ally McBeal on Netflix (slightly embarrassing accomplishment)
  • moved the contents of my old laptop, Beast, to my new laptop, Gypsy
  • Bought VHS copies of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, E.T., and Legally Blonde at Goodwill for only 49¢ each!
  • merged my school and gmail accounts (much more challenging and temper-inducing than you'd originally think)
  • biked over 300 miles with my parents and the Evanston Bike Club
  • witnessed the CSO, Lakeside Singers, and Chicago Children's Choir perform Howard Shore's score for Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring at Ravinia whilst the movie played above
  • secretly compiled a 70+ page book of well-wishes and memories from my mother's friends and family for her 60th Birthday surprise party
So I'd say it's been pretty successful! Thank you all for reading my blog (however few of you there may be)! Look for some upcoming posts on: Lost on Planet China, The Namesake, Hong Kong (short stories), The British Empire, and South Korea in 7 Days!

1 comment:

Paul Lindman said...

Sure sounds like significant accomplishments to me Bundl. it is hard to believe the summer is almost over and you are almost on the plane!